Gallery Of Coconut Cookies
You are here: / / / Coconut Cookies
Buttery, chewy Coconut Cookies! These cookies are made with flake coconut and caramel chips, then are dunked in dark chocolate and topped off with toasted coconut! These were such a hit with everyone who tried them — everyone was asking me for the recipe!
I always feel a liiiitttle bit guilty when I share a coconut recipe because I know that there are a lot of you out there who have made it pretty clear that you don’t appreciate coconut at all .
I get it, not everyone likes the texture for me!), but I love it and while I do try to limit the number of coconut recipes that I share, it’s been a while and we’re due for another one. Namely these buttery soft Coconut Cookies.
So, coconut haters, I’m sorry, and if you check back on Monday I promise there will be no coconut in that recipe, but for those of you on #teamcoconutcookies, let’s dig in to today’s recipe.
The texture of coconut cookies reminds me a lot of oatmeal, and I actually adapted my favorite to make these.
Tips for Making Coconut Cookies
- Use unsweetened flake coconut for this recipe, it can usually be found right next to the sweetened variety in the baking section.
- Adding caramel chips is optional, but you should definitely add them! I can’t stress enough how tasty these were with little pops of caramel flavor in every bite. I used actual caramel chips and not caramel baking bits , I used Ghirardelli’s, which are sold in a caramel-colored bag. This combo of coconut, caramel, and chocolate reminds me a little of my favorite Girl Scout Cookie — the Samoa.
- I recommend adding the coconut extract, as instructed, for the best cookie flavor. The cookies will still be good if you leave it out , but the flake coconut doesn’t do much to impart an actual coconut flavor into the cookies, and I liked the taste much better with the extract.
- Immediately after dipping each of the cookies in chocolate, you can sprinkle them with coconut. I chose to toast my coconut , so I’ve provided instructions in case you’d like to toast yours as well.
To toast coconut for these coconut cookies, spread 1/2 cup of flake coconut evenly across a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake in a 325F oven for about 5 minutes or until the coconut is toasted lightly golden brown.
Allow the coconut to cool before sprinkling over dark chocolate, but sprinkle immediately after dipping in chocolate or it won’t stick, so if you plan to use toasted coconut make sure you have it ready in advance!
Just to be clear, I did not toast the coconut that went into the cookies, just the last 1/2 cup that I used for sprinkling on top of the cookies!
Buttery, chewy Coconut Cookies! These cookies are made with flake coconut and caramel chips, then are dunked in dark chocolate and topped off with toasted coconut!
- 1 cup butter room temperature 216g
- 1 cup brown sugar tightly packed 200g
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 250g
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch cornflour in UK
- 3 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes* divided
- 1 cup caramel baking chips Optional, but SO GOOD! I use Ghirardelli, they're sold next to the chocolate chips in a caramel-colored bag
- 10 oz dark chocolate melting wafers** optional
- Beat butter in the bowl of a stand mixer for about 30 seconds. Add sugars and beat until light and fluffy .
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined.
- Stir in vanilla and coconut extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture until completely combined. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl so ingredients are well-mixed.
- Gradually stir in 3 cups coconut flakes and caramel chips until completely combined.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F and prepare cookie sheets by lining with parchment paper.